Friday, February 17, 2023

Televangelists Are Beautiful…Here’s What I Mean.

One of the most commonly abused Bible verses of our times is found in Matthew 7:1-3, where our Savior commands us not to judge. Those who are practicing a particular kind of sin which the Bible overtly points out as sin use that verse to “prove” that Christians shouldn’t judge them. Others go to the other extreme and make it their duty – really, their right – to judge people, believers and unbelievers, who are doing and saying things they disagree with.

They miss the entire spirit of Yeshua’s words, which is that none of us are perfect, all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, and unless and until we have realized, repented of, and gotten rid of every single sin out of our lives, we’re not to try, judge, and convict people. The sin, yes, but those of us who have fallen into this prideful trap don’t turn our wrath toward the devil, who is the author and finisher of temptation and deception. We turn it against the people.

Notice how I used the word “us.” That’s because I have been one of those people.

The dream that woke me up.

A few nights ago, from when I'm writing this post, I had a dream. In the dream, I was leading a group of people through a building, trying to get to a particular part, which should have been easy to get to. But suddenly, there were obstacles in our way. There were people we had to interrupt, detours we had to take.

One of the people in the little group was a man I’ve known about since my mid-twenties. I was actually part of the choir that ministered when he came to hold meetings in the city I was living at the current time. I’d never dreamed about him before, but for some reason, there he was.

As the group meandered along its way, the two of us began chatting. And, along the way, he smiled at and encouraged the rest of us as we wound our way through rooms and corridors.

When we finally got out of the maze, I turned to someone else in the group and said, “He’s a beautiful man." I was referring to his spirit, not his outward appearance.

The next instant, the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart, saying, “I made him, therefore he is beautiful.”

Soon after, I woke up.

And repented.

Because during the past decade of my life, I have had nothing but negative things to say about this person, not to mention a host of other famous/notorious televangelists.

We are all equal at the foot of the cross.

Like never before, the phrase, “We are all equal at the foot of the cross” opened up to me. It exploded inside my heart.

The sins and failings of the man in question are not, and haven’t been, any worse than my sins and failings. Just because his are in public view doesn’t make him a worse person. Or me, because my sins are seen by only a few, any better.

Because of that, I have no right to judge or criticize him. What good does that do, anyway? He’ll never hear me.  And even if I tried to contact him, should he by some miracle read my message it would land on deaf ears unless God had prepared his heart to receive it.

Self-deception is the worst deception, and it’s one of the main reasons believers remain stuck in their sin without seeing it as sin.

But God doesn’t dislike us for it. He knows we are fallen beings. He love us despite of it, likes us despite of it. Because He made us.

And God doesn’t create anything halfway. He doesn’t imagine darkness and ugliness.

He creates beauty.

A note of caution…

Remember this the next time you see a Christian YouTuber judging a famous preacher. Remember that the next time you read a blog post condemning an entire Christian denomination because the article’s author disagrees with part of their theology.

Remember that in God’s sight, we are all beautiful. And if we think God is calling us to call out another person’s sin, we need to tread carefully and make sure we are, indeed, spotlighting the sin, and not the person.

Peace to you, and may blessing abound in every area of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments should conform to Colossians 3:12-17. If yours will not, leave this blog and go pray about your attitude.